Different Types of Fast Food
There are many kinds of fast food. What will one place have in terms of fast food types, depends on what grows there, what of ingredients can be obtained and what local people like. Here are some types of fast food:
- Hot dog: a cooked sausage served in a sliced bun and garnished with condiments like mustard, ketchup, onions, mayonnaise, relish, cheese, and chili.
- Kebab: pieces of meat, fish, or vegetables roasted or grilled on a skewer or spit. I originated in the Middle East.
- French fries: invented by Belgians (surprise!), French fries are potatoes cut to short sticks and deep fried. Popular since 17th or 18th century.
- Hamburger: a type of sandwich that has one or more meat patties placed in between two or more sliced buns and garnished with condiments.
- Chips: Thinly cut potatoes (very thinly), heavily salted and deep fried until crispy. Legend says that they were made for the first time by a cook annoyed by his costumer who complained that his potatoes were too thick, soft and bland.
- Pizza: a flat-bread baked in oven and topped with tomato sauce, cheese and various toppings. Modern pizza is invented in Italy and loved around the world.
- Sandwich: a type of food where one type of food is place on or between two slices of bread. John Montagu, 4th Earl of Sandwich was inventor of this food.
- Taco: Is a filling wrapped in a corn or wheat tortilla (type of flat-bread). Filling can be made of different ingredients like beef, pork,
- chicken, seafood, vegetables and cheese.
- Chicken nuggets: made from meat slurry or chicken breasts cut to shape, breaded or battered, and then deep fried or baked. They were invented in the 1950s by Robert C. Baker, a food science professor at Cornell University.
- Onion rings: a snack made of cross-sectional rings of onion dipped in batter or bread crumbs and then deep fried. It can be also made with onion paste.
- Fish and chips: a fast food dish made of battered fish and deep fried chips (this time English “chips” meaning thickly cut deep fried potatoes). Can be garnished with vinegar and eaten with mushy peas.
- Poutine: a sub-type of French fries originating from Canada. It is made of French fries and topped with a light and thin chicken, veal, or turkey gravy and cheese curds.
- Cheeseburger: a hamburger with a sliced of melted cheese.